July 16, 2007

Alicia Bock Photography



Artist:
Alicia Bock
Web site: Alicia Bock
Etsy: Alicia Bock
Blog: Bloom, Grow, Love
Location: Mid-Michigan, USA

What do you create?
Fine art photographs and notecards.

When and why did you decide to start your business?
I started selling my photographs in 2004, after a renewed interest in photography after my daughter was born. After taking way too many baby pictures I moved onto other subjects, and haven't stopped since.

Where do you get your inspiration for your projects?
Mostly from my daily life, and my kids. Having small kids is great because it makes you rediscover everything. I work around their schedule and they are always with me, so I photograph the things we find on our adventures, or flowers from our garden.



Which of the tools you use is your favorite?
My vintage cameras that I used in my "viewfinder series" photographs. I love taking these old cameras and using them in a modern way.


What is your favorite part of your creative process?
The anticipation...when I get an idea late at night, but I know I will have to wait until morning to put my plan in motion.

What keeps you motivated?
I have more ideas than time t
o create. But, I see this as the building phase of my business. Someday, when my kids are both in school I will hopefully have more time to do all the things I am dreaming about.



How do you get the word out about your work?
Mostly through my mailing list and blog
. I am just starting to do some paid advertising on some well read blogs, and locally. I also try to upload my photographs regularly to Flickr, and participate in several groups there.

What is your main goal for the next 6-12 months?
I have recently expanded my business to include portrait sessions for children and teens. So, I will be working towards learning new portrait techniques and expanding my portfolio. I also have a few new series of fine art photographs in mind, hopefully, I will get to work on them before the summer is up.



What advice would you give to someone starting a creative business?
I would say go for it! I think this has been the best thing I have ever done. But, you have to be your own biggest fan, and spend just as much time marketing your work as you spend creating it.

What’s the most important thing you’d like people to know/understand about your work?
I am just a girl trying to find the beauty and inspiration in my everyday.



Who are some of your favorite indie designers/artists?
I love so many of the artists on Etsy
like Mandy, Michelle Ramin and Louise.

If money, deadlines, scheduling, etc weren’t an obstacle what new project would you like to take on?
I would love to take a year (or 3 or 4) off, and travel with my family photographing everything we saw.

What's your definition of a perfect day?
A day at the beach spent taking pictures of my family, chinese food for dinner, and my kids going to bed early.


Thank you Alicia!

2 comments:

Stereoette said...

love these photos so much...

Maria said...

Great photos! I like the vintage feeling.