What do you create?
I create hand-embellished greeting cards, announcements, imprintables, enclosure cards, and other unique paper related products.
How did you come up with your company name?
The name of my company came from a nickname my husband had for me. The nickname has since shortened to Marzi, but the business name stuck.
Where do you get inspiration for your projects?
Inspiration comes from all around me. I love going to bookstores and getting ideas from different creative sources. Many times seeing something will trigger another idea totally unrelated. The internet is also another great source of inspiration.
What is your main goal for this year?
This one is easy! At the beginning of the year, I wrote up a set of goals for myself and my business. I don't have one main goal, but many equal goals. They include:
- Increase annual sales by 40%.
- Increase sales at the national stationery show by 50%.
- Design on a more regular basis so that my scheduled releases are not last minute.
- Do a better job of updating my website with current news and new releases.
- Get a separate retail site up and running by march 2006. www.shadesofviolet.com
- Send out press releases and new samples to media on a more regular basis.
- Get published in a “real” magazine. (We were published in about 5 separate issues of trade magazines in 2005.) Being published in actual newsstand magazines would add much more name recognition to my company.
- Increase annual sales by 60%
- Increase sales at the national stationery show by 65%
- Increase number of new product releases from 5 to 6 per year
Go for it! Don't let anyone hold you back. Believe in yourself and your products and you can achieve anything.
And just out of curiosity, what's your favorite tool of your trade?
100%, without a doubt, my Mac. As all of my cards are illustrated on my computer, I couldn't live without it. I love, love, love it! It's my best friend.
Marzipan Inc. (wholesale)
Shades of Violet (retail)